Impotence or Erectile Dysfunction (“ED”) is a condition where there is a problem in getting or maintaining an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse. It is important to note here that having a problem once in a while is not considered to be ED.
Male sexual arousal is a complex process that involves the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles and blood vessels. Erectile dysfunction can result from a problem with any of these. Likewise, stress and mental health concerns can cause or worsen ED.
Physical problems can contribute to impotence especially as men age. ED can be a symptom of a more serious condition that should be investigated.
Because erections require so much blood, vascular problems are a leading cause of ED. Atherosclerosis (narrowing of arteries) can reduce blood flow to the penis. Also, conditions that affect the heart’s ability to pump blood can contribute to ED.
ED is common in men who have diabetes. It can stem from problems caused by poor long-term blood sugar control, which damages nerves and blood vessels.
Several neurologic conditions can increase the risk for impotence. Nerve damage can affect the brain’s ability to communicate with the reproductive system preventing a man from achieving an erection. Some neurological disorders (such as strokes, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and others) are associated with ED.
Low testosterone and abnormal thyroid hormone levels can cause ED. Some prescription medications can contribute to ED as can effects from prostate surgery.
Psychological effects can cause or contribute to ED. These can be due to anxiety, stress, depression, low self-esteem, guilt, anger or even indifference, just to mention a few.
As homeopathic treatment is holistic the individual with a condition is treated rather than the condition itself. As a result, any homeopathic remedy selected is for the person experiencing the condition not a specific remedy for ED.
It is important for the homeopath to understand all the aspects of what is contributing to the man’s impotence. Taken into account are all physical, mental and emotional symptoms associated with or concomitant to the main complaint.
Some of the main homeopathic remedies used to treat ED are as follows:
• Agnes Castus – can be useful in collapse or broken down states that occur after abuse of alcohol, drugs, and over-indulgence in sex.
• Argentum Nitricum – indicated where there is a weakness of mental control leading to impulsiveness, suggestibility and fearfulness. Impotence, worse when thinking of the problem.
• Caladium – indicated when the male is unable to have an erection despite having a sexual desire or urge. It is also for men who have a sexual weakness due to mental depression.
• Lycopodium – indicated in people who lack confidence even though they have the ability. This can be most noticeable in the intimate marriage relationship due to fear of being unable to fulfill responsibilities of intimacy.
• Selenium – can be useful in treating weak or feeble erections during sexual activity usually with early emissions. Often the condition is due to weakness and debility that is becoming all too common with today’s stresses.