In homeopathic understanding a very large percentage of chronic diseases can be associated with an infective agent (such as bacteria, viruses, parasites, toxic poisoning, etc.). Homeopathy also understands that the impact of infective agents in the development of chronic diseases can be transmitted to offspring, even without the infective agent present.
Not only can the impact of a disease be genetic, but also involves some sort of inherited “energetic body” or energetic force that can and must motivate not only the healthy body, but also in its defectiveness, the manifesting of disease states. Homeopathy can treat the residual effects of infection even when the infective agent is not present.
In homeopathy it is believed that there are two aspects to any infective condition. One is the material aspect that can be seen with a microscope, and the other is the energetic aspect which remains unseen. In fact, it is held that either simultaneously with, or prior to, the manifestation of any disease (including an infection) there is an energetic shift and change in the host.
To the homeopath, this energetic shift can best be discerned through attention to the individual disposition of each patient (host) rather than through the narrow and exclusive task of identifying the common infective agent. A good homeopathic prescription always takes into account the individual nature of the person and their recent and long-term life history as well as specific external etiology. According to Louis Klein, Miasms and Nosodes, ‘disposition is that which shapes each person’s unique way of responding to events. This includes those consistent attributes, positive and negative, that form our attitudes and our actions’.
To the homeopath, the real clues to treating any disease condition are uncovered not only by way of laboratory investigation but by way of a thorough investigation into the individual and their history.
As noted, there are energetic shifts, which manifest (from an earlier latent state) and act as pre-cursory fields for disease. Homeopathy has named them miasms, and homeopaths have prepared energetic homeopathic remedies from actual infective agents or from discharges or diseased tissue, and these preparations are called nosodes (from nosos, the Greek word meaning disease). Due to potentization-the dilution and shaking- nosodes lose their infectious nature even while their energetic possibilities are increased. These nosodes were, and are, an attempt to treat the energetic disturbance in the patient with a similar energetic vibration.
When a homeopathic remedy is prepared from a nosode, it is no longer material; what it becomes is an artifact of the original substance from which it was made. This is what homeopathic remedies actually are; an energetic artifact of the original substance.
The following are indications when a nosode may be called for:
• When well chosen remedies don’t act or hold. This, along with point 3 below, can be an indication of a miasmic block in a case.
• Symptoms change a lot from one day to the next (unstable case).
• A remedy stops working and the symptom picture remains the same (usually after unsuccessfully changing potencies, dosage, etc.).
• Never well since an acute infection especially when interfered with drugs.
• You have a severe acute disease and the symptoms are not suggesting a single remedy picture of the disease.
• When there are no characteristic symptoms in the case; there are only common symptoms of the disease.
• Prophylaxis (epidemic prescribing) such as giving Influenzinum remedy during flu season as a kind of inoculation.
• When the nosode is the same as the micro-organism infecting the person. So, for example, someone with whooping cough may take Pertussinum based on nothing but the common symptoms of the disease.
• When the nosode is a person’s constitutional remedy. This is when the person’s symptoms match the nosode’s proving symptoms.